I was born in 1955 on a small sheep farm at Bolstadøyri in Voss municipality. I moved to Bergen in 1980 and I'm now married and have two
children. I'm now working full time creating hats after 17 years as a secretary and a treasurer for Hordaland
Husflidslag (Hordaland Handicraft Organization).
Beside finishing secondary school and college, I have had three years at a handicraft
school with main courses as sewing, craft and weaving.
From 1980 I worked as a handicraftconsultant for The Norwegian Handicraft Organization
for seven years. It was then, in 1981,
I came in contact with the felting technique.
After that I did many experiments within the technique on my own, but after a course in felting
on Hamar in 1993 I really got a glance of the possibilities within the technique.
I have done a number of courses in felting for both children and grownups, for instance on Holmen Gård, Norges Husflidslags (The Norwegian Handicraft
Organization's) course center.
In the spring of 2001 I took a 15 points course in the study "Drakt og Samfunn" (Clothes and Society), and in 2002 I followed up with the study "Vestnorsk Kultur og Tradisjonsformidling" (Imparting of Western-Norwegian Culture and Tradition) at Vestnorsk Kulturakademi (Western-Norway Cultural Academy). This was also a 15 points study.
I have specialized myself in felted hats, and so I have become
a ardent hat user. Usually I use Norwegian wool from The Hillesvåg Woolfactory
that's ready made, which means it's already colored and clothed. As decoration
I use a lot of knit which I felt into the hat.
In earlier collections i have been using horsehair as decoration on some of my hats, in the latest I use metalpieces from soda- and beercans.
Besides hats I also make scarfs which can be used along with the hats.
I sell my hats mostly at fairs in the near area, but also in Jondal (The Jondalfair),
Nesbyen ("Kjerringtorget"), Røros("Rørosmartnaen"), Stavanger (The PWC fair at Sola), Seljord (Dyrskuen) and Trondheim.
But I have also been represented at many exhibitions and similar things, i.a.
- "Flid og Flørt", a travelling exhibition on the occasion of the 100th year jubilee of Hordaland Husflidslag (Hordaland Handicraft Organization), Sogn and Fjordane Husflidslag (Sogn and Fjordane Handicraft Organization) and Husfliden (The Handicraft Shop) in Bergen 1994.
- "Hattens Dag" (The Day of The Hats) in Bergen in the years from 1994-1998.
- The Hansiatic Days in Visby at Gotland in 1998.
- The Autumnexhibition by Husflidshånverkerne (The Handicraftworkers Organization) and Norges Husflidslag (The Norwegian Handicraft Organization) in Oslo in 1998.
- A solo exhibition in Balestrand by Balestrand Kunstlag (Balestrand Craftassociation) in 1998.
- An exhibition at Munkholmen in Trondheim by Husflidshåndverkere (The Hanicraftworkers Organization) in Trondheim in 1998.
- An exhibition at Cultural Arts Council, Colorado. An exhibition of handicraft from western Norway. 2001.
- "Kongelig gjestebud" an exhibition in Stavanger by The Norwegian Handicraft Organization in 2002.
- A solo exhibition at Tingvoll by Tingvoll Kunstlag in 2003.
- A christmas sales exhibition by Sundalsøra Kunstlag in 2003.
- A summer exhibition in Rauland at Gallery Dåm 2005.
- Nominated for the Sunflower award 2006 at Kjerringtorget, Nesbyen. There were 220 participants at the exhibition. "The Sunflower award is given every year to a self-made product which has a great potensial and which the jury has believes in, a product with developing posibilities often made with traditional materials which are used in new ways."
- Awarded two second places in the category Textile, subclass Handcraft In a competition called "Husflidstevlingen" at Dyrsku'n in Seljord 2006.
- Awarded with a diploma for best exhibitor at the handicraft fair in Florø 2006.
- Awarded by Norges Husflidslag (The Norwegian Handicraft Organization) with a diploma for good craftsmanship during the handicraft fair in Florø 2006.
- Awarded by Norges Husflidslag (The Norwegian Handicraft Organization) with a diploma for good craftsmanship during the handicraft fair in Jondal 2008.
- Awarded by Norges Husflidslag (The Norwegian Handicraft Organization) with a diploma for good craftsmanship in the competition "Husflidstevlingen" during the handicraft fair in Jondal 2008. Two first places.
- Awarded by Norges Husflidslag (The Norwegian Handicraft Organization) with a diploma for good craftsmanship in the competition "Husflidstevlingen" during the handicraft fair in Jondal 2009. Two first places.
- A solo exhibition in Balestrand by Balestrand Kunstlag (Balestrand Craftassociation) in 2009 together with Unni Woldvik who produces glass paintings.
- Handicraftworker of the month march 2010 at Husfliden In Bergen in connection with Norges Husflidslags (The Norwegian Handicraft Organization's) 100 years jubilee
- A solo exhibition of hats and scarfs at Voss Folkemuseum, Mølstertunet.
- Exhibition for memebers of Handverkarlag in Norges Husflidslag (The Norwegian Handicraft Organization) at Grand Hotell in Oslo at its 100 year jubilee juni 2010.
- Three 1. prizes in Husflidstevlinga at Dyrsku'n 2010. Category textile, class Handicraft.
- Two 1. prizes in Husflidstevlinga at Dyrsku'n 2011. Category textile, class Handicraft.
- Nominated to "Fashion boutique of the year 2011" at Fashion Awards Bergen 2011.
- April 2012 exhibition at Fana Kulturhus, Nesttun with Aud Lavik and Kristin Selboskar. "Vesker, Hattar og smykker".
- September 2012. Exhibition at Høyanger Kunstlag's autumn exhibition.
- August 2013. Awarded the "Handverksprisen 2013" (Handicraft award) at Kystkulturdagane in Lysøysund.
I'm registered as self-employed and I'm a member of Husflidshåndverkere
av Hordaland (The Handicraftworkers Organization in Hordaland).